THIS SITE

THIS SITE

Wednesday 10 June 2009

Terminator: Salvation - Mini Review


Well, I've finally found the time to sit down and do a few posts since having some holiday time last week. You'll have to bare with me as I have a huge amount to post over the next few days and I'm also desperate to get on and play two new X-Box 360 games I bought the other day too. Both Red Faction: Guerrilla and Bionic Commando are petty good games but I'd also like Prototype... Greedy I know. And there are so many games coming out around November time this year I'm pretty sure I'll be bankrupt... happy on my 360 but bankrupt nonetheless...

Aaaaaaaaaanyway Wednesday last week saw the opening night of one of the years most anticipated movies Terminator: Salvation.

I was actually really looking forward to this movie, I knew how much negative hype had been built up around it, most of it blamed on director McG, but I wanted to give it the benefit of the doubt and see if it could put the Terminator franchise back on track after the slightly, but not totally, disappointing Rise of the Machines...

Luckily I was actually quite pleasantly surprised. Although there are a lot of niggles that you could harp on about for ages (the whole Marcus storyline is one such point to make), they didn't really amount to anything that stopped this film from being an enjoyable popcorn-movie experience. It had the action and eyeball searing explosions, almost non stop I might add, it had the solid Terminator history with accurate renditions of the exoskeletons and continual nods to the old films (McG is a Terminator fan and it shows) and it had a CG Arnie T-800 too... Yep that's right, he was there, and he looked OK for what was said to be a crap virtual-cameo.

It was for all intents and purposes a good try at a Terminator sequel and I can safely say that I'll look forward to a sequel if one should be on the horizon. I'm sure you can read about the negatives on another site or blog but I'll leave this one alone and say 'go see it for yourself and make your own decision'. It has to be said though that a director's cut DVD with all the deleted/ edited scenes that were obviously cut will be very welcome upon its release. I think they should have stayed in and the rating upped as they were missed...

Now it's only a short wait for the phenomenal looking Transformers II: Revenge of the Fallen! Woo Hoo!

7.5/10

No comments: