THIS SITE

THIS SITE

Sunday 17 August 2008

Star Wars: Clone Wars Mini Review


OK, so after months of waiting Clone Wars has finally been released and I went to see it today with my eldest daughter.

Yesterday I'd read some pretty damning reviews of this CGI Star Wars movie and even that some people weren't going to waste their time and money on it based on the bad feedback. I have to say that although it did have its negative points, which for me were: some poor voice work, some jerky/ wooden animation (and acting!), dragging a little in the third act and "Zero the Hutt" being an embarrassment to the SW universe, among a few other little niggly things, the overall attempt was a success as far as I'm concerned.


I have to admit that I think the previous Clone Wars cartoon was superior to this movie, both in style and in content, but it had its moments of excellence and an abundance of action and mayhem which made for geeky, compelling viewing.


When I asked my daughter which part she enjoyed the most she joyously told me that she loved it all and that her favourite character was Ahsoka (Anakin's new Padawan), although the odd scenes containing imagery such as a tray of severed bounty hunter heads or the semi-graphic deaths of numerous Clone Troopers were a little over zealous for a five year old. The characters that we know and love were all there along with some new faces (we like Captain Rex) General Loathsom, Rotta the Huttlett and of course Ahsoka, along with a bevvy of Clones (love the different hair-dos) and humorous Battle-Droids, who gave us some, literally edge of your seat, viewing in places (the vertical assault on the monastery for instance was a highlight).


If you're a Star Wars fan I think you'll end up in one of two places in your mind. 1) You'll love it, simply because it's Star Wars and 2) You'll find so many faults with it that you won't enjoy it much (at least during the first viewing) BECAUSE you're such a fan of Star Wars. Either way I can't say it was terrible at all like some people out there. My advice is take a kid with you that loves Star Wars and you'll enjoy it even more. My little one was making lightsaber noises and babbling about the film all the way home so I know she enjoyed it!

A good attempt, but not what we were all hoping for
6/10



No comments: