THIS SITE

THIS SITE

Thursday 14 August 2008

Robert Downey Jr rips into Dark Knight


I was a little shocked to hear Robert Downey Jr's recent comments, made to Moviehole, about Batman: Dark Knight (see below).
I get that he's hit the limelight (big-time) with Iron Man so he's probably feeling a little big headed and proud of himself (plus of course people have temporarily forgotten about his drug fuelled history) and he may be playing a little bit of underhand bitchy politics (as he knows full well that DK is superior in almost every way to Iron Man so he's trying to protect his little money-earner) but his comments make him look a little stupid and a lot jealous.
While Iron Man was definitely an awesome film and I don't doubt for a minute that it wasn't primarily due to Jr's spot on performance as Tony Stark, he should show a little professional decorum and at least give a nod or a "well done on making a great movie" to Chris Nolan, his crew and DK's actors. Saying "I don't get it and F**K DC" reduces my opinion of RDJ quite substantially and makes me think that he's just acting like spoilt little brat trapped in a 43 year olds' body.

In an previous interview with Total Film magazine he even stated "There's delayed gratification and then there's 25 years later. I should get a gold watch or something..."

Below is the section of the Moviehole interview that has got a lot of people narked

“My whole thing is that that I saw The Dark Knight. I feel like I’m dumb because I feel like I don’t get how many things that are so smart. It’s like a Ferrari engine of storytelling and script writing and I’m like, ‘That’s not my idea of what I want to see in a movie.’ I loved The Prestige but didn’t understand The Dark Knight. Didn’t get it, still can’t tell you what happened in the movie, what happened to the character and in the end they need him to be a bad guy. I’m like, ‘I get it. This is so high brow and so fucking smart, I clearly need a college education to understand this movie.’ You know what? Fuck DC comics. That’s all I have to say and that’s where I’m really coming from.”

He then went on to say:

“You know, you’re never too old to burn your bridges because I believe I have offended everyone. I think I’ve got a couple more. ‘I’ll burn that bridge when I come to it’ is my favourite phrase I’ve ever coined.”


No comments: