THIS SITE

THIS SITE

Monday 24 January 2011

The Real Iron Man


Dear RDJ (Robert Downey Jr. for the newbies),

I had the recent pleasure of meeting you a little over a week ago. Since then, I have enjoyed your newest film Iron Man 2. One of the many things I love about living in NYC is being able to bump into talented individuals such as yourself. You came to my work to hang out with kids who have cancer and I figured you would be in, get your pics, and out in 15 minutes.

Surprisingly, you stayed for over an hour and made sure each kid got a pic, signature, and personal interaction with the real Iron Man. One kid exclaimed, “He’s (Iron Man) real.” I must admit I reflect the same sentiment, you’re real, a real grounded and engaging person.

The staff wouldn’t admit it, but we were hanging around hoping we might get a chance to chat with you as well. Your handler lady said, “Let’s get one group staff picture.” You weren’t having that. You said in your most authoritative Tony Stark voice, “Now let me tell you how this is going to go. I want an individual picture with each and every one of you. Let’s start a line and I’m going to begin with you (me!).” You asked me my name and I managed to say it and you said, “It’s nice to meet you, Katie.” The professional photographer snapped a picture of us and I said “Can I get a copy of that?” You said, “Make sure she gets a copy of that and bill it to Paramount.”

— from Katie, who met RDJ in May 2010 when he visited the Stephen D. Hassenfeld Children’s Center for Cancer & Blood Disorders in NYC (her open letter to RDJ; via Crushable)



I have no words for this, other than complete and utter respect and admiration for the man.

1 comment:

Darknight Daughter said...

bit of a clichéd publicity stunt tbh (sorry I'm not a fan :P)