THIS SITE

THIS SITE

Monday 17 August 2009

The Walking Dead To Become A T.V. Series?




My Backstory

Let me tell you a little something: "I am, and always have been, a collossal comic fan."

I guess it started when I was born in 1978, the year the first Superman movie was first released in cinemas. The merchandise came thick and fast and before I knew it I was growing up with superheroes all around me. I was wearing Superman pyjamas, sleeping under a Superman duvet with matching pillow, had Superman wallpaper and numerous action figures and vehicles (which I still have today) and even the little outfit with booty covers and cape (I don't still have that...).

Then it was Batman, Spider-Man, Wonder Woman, the Fantastic Four... The list went on. I lived in Hong Kong up until the age of 5 and everything was manufactured over there, so it was all abundant in the shops. Star Wars was also a big part of my life at that age and I had everything with Star Wars that I had with Superman as above.

I started to seriously get into comics in the UK at around the age of 14 or 15 when I went into a crappy little shop in Great Yarmouth and picked up a "What if: Silver Surfer had betrayed Galactus" comic. It was so good that I started collecting comics and graphic novels, concentrating more on X-Men and Superman than anything else, and it grew from there. Now I have a collection in my room that I've set out in my house which is a nice little display of comic related merchandise. And as I work for a company that supplies this stuff you can imagine that my collection grows bigger every week!

You could say that the reason I'm the way I am is because of my Mother, she surrounded me with these things when I was young and apart from a few years where my interests centered purely on going down the pub and pulling lovely ladies I have always been a comic fan and a super-geek. Thanks Mum!

Loyalties Switch

The reason I say all this is because a few years ago my loyalties to Marvel and DC comics strayed, quite amazingly, to IMAGE. As I've mentioned a few times on here I love some of Image comics' releases and especially books like Invincible, The Astounding Wolfman, Brit, Noble Causes and THE WALKING DEAD.

The Walking Dead is possibly the best comic series there is out there today and it's shocking that I started reading it. Invincible was the first Image ongoing series that I got hooked on and it was Robert Kirkman's (I bow in your honour) stunning writing (and Ryan Ottley's art) that made me crave more. I jumped on to numerous projects that Kirkman had worked on (including the uber cool Iredeemable Ant-Man from Marvel) and then came across Walking Dead. I've never ever been a horror fan and usually can't stand the movies or games that are based on zombies etc but when I picked up this book by accident one day I was mesmerised completely. I can safely say that this book drew me in like no other and the way it's written is so real, so visceral, that it shocks you to the core every time you read a new one.

The News

Ok so now the news: The Walking Dead is going to be made into a T.V. show for US cable channel AMC! Woo Hoo!

Writer, Director and Producer Frank Darabont (The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile and The Mist) will be adapting the comic series for the small screen with producer Gale Anne Hurd (Punisher and Hulk movies) and from what I can tell the story will follow the comic series perfectly with all the characters, blood guts and gore included.

Now that's news I'm excited about! (as if you couldn't tell already).

If you want to read up on what The Walking Dead is all about take a look at the Wiki page HERE for more. And if you get the chance, read the comics asap!

Let's hope this turns out as good as the comics. Robert Kirkman himself tweeted that they wouldn't make it if it wasn't going to be good and I trust that he'll make damn sure no one screws up his baby!




No comments: