THIS SITE

THIS SITE

Wednesday 17 February 2010

Beyond Sherwood Forest... WTF?


I happened upon a site tonight advertising a Syfy original movie called 'Beyond Sherwood Forest'.

That in itself wasn't what caught my eye (I'm not exactly a Robin Hood fan y'know, although I liked the Costner version *CRINGE*), it was actually who was in it and what it was about that got my attention.

First off the director is Peter Deluise, known to many a sci-fi fan as the director and producer of Stargate SG-1 and many other sci-fi related shows. Robin Hood himself is played by Sanctuary's very own Will Zimmerman -Robin Dunne, Maid Marion is played by Smallville's Lois Lane - Erica Durance, Prince John is played by V's rebel human Georgie Sutton - David Richmond-Peck and then sci-fi royalty is present in the form of Julian Sands who plays the Sheriff of Notingham/ Malcolm. There are a few other actors and actresses that you'd know from other cult shows but the 4 above are the most well known, to me at least.

The story is completely crazy with a retelling of the old story we know having a sci-fi edge given to it. The Sheriff has control of a girl called Alina who has been cursed into the form of a dragon and he sends her off to kill Robin. Robin is then forced to battle all sorts of nasties and all kinds of supernatural weapons and wonderment then take center stage, along with the rescue of the feisty and kick-ass Maid Marion (could Erica be anything but 'feisty and kick-ass'?).

I haven't seen this t.v. movie, and I don't really intend to, but the reviews haven't been overly kind. Maybe it's because casting the fragile and hardly-passable-leading-action-man Dunne in the lead role was a huge mistake (my own pre-judgement of course) or maybe it's because the small budget and weak story just don't cut it in a world where Avatar has emerged and raised the bar into the stratosphere. Either way I thought I'd bring it to everyone's attention, just in case there are those of you that actually are interested. You poor souls... ;P

Having just checked I can tell you that the whole film is watchable in numerous short parts via Youtube, but the trailer is below should you want to see a little bit first.

No comments: