THIS SITE

THIS SITE

Wednesday 14 July 2010

Batman: Under The Red Hood - New Video Clips & Mini Review

Having watched the "Batman: Under The Red Hood" animated movie last night (yes it was online) I have to say that I was a little dissapointed. Only a little mind you.

It was good, don't get me wrong, but there were a lot of little niggles that for a movie and comic fan like myself just accumulated into a mediocre DC outing.

I liked the voice work from Jensen Ackles as Red Hood, Neil Patrick Harris as Nightwing and didn't think that John Di Maggio did a bad job of the Joker either (even though the character himself seemed a bit too big and manly based on what we've seen before). I wasn't completely sold on Bruce Greenwood's Batman but then I'm a Kevin Conroy fanatic so there's no pleasing me when they change Batman's voice actor!

The animation was a little strange, sometimes looking undercooked, a little rushed and too much like an amateur anime release in parts, but then action sequences were great, the flashback scenes were nicely done and the story wasn't too terrible or difficult to follow. The inclusion of various characters like Black Mask, Amazo, The Riddler and more were OK and added to the DC Universe vibe, but I couldn't help but feel like I wanted another superhero from the League to appear rather than keeping it in the Bat-Family. I'm not really used to Bat-Family only movies and I'm much happier when watching Supes, Flash, GL, WW and others all together. Plus Nightwing needed longer hair for me to relate to him... Little thing, but it bugged me, as I know it did with other online reviewers.

I will warn you of one thing though - This is in no way or form a movie you should let your kids watch. There was a ton of pretty visceral violence, blood and gore that we haven't seen in previous DC animated outings. OK so we've seen Wonder Woman lob of a head or two in her movie and there have always been deaths here and there in the others, but this one is pretty sick in parts... Great for desensitised adults like myself but I wouldn't let my girls watch this like they have with other films. Be warned!

Here are two video clips to get those of you who haven't seen this yet in the mood!



No comments: