THIS SITE

THIS SITE

Sunday 25 January 2009

TV's New Seasons Start Again


Ahhh don't you just love it when a TV programme you've been missing for ages comes back onto TV? Well I do because that's my life... Yes I know it's sad but it's true. Plus a few other programmes are getting better. Here's a bit on each.

Spoilers below. Do not read on if you haven't watched these new episodes!


Battlestar Galactica Season 4.5 - So Ellen Tigh is the fifth and final Cylon eh? I bet hardly anyone saw that one coming. I did, kind of, well she was one of my 3 top choices including Felix and Starbuck so I feel good that I was almost there. I don't actually believe she is the final Cylon at the moment, I think that's been played out a little too easily with another 9 eps left buy we'll see. And Kara Thrace is actually dead in her crashed Viper on Earth, yet was still sent back to the fleet alive and kicking somehow? I'd love to see how that one pans out. A sixth missing Cylon maybe? Resurrected by God? Time travel high jinx? Who knows! And Tyrol's boy is actually Hot Dog's? Naughty old Cally! I love Battlestar and even though I'm gutted it's coming to an end I can't wait for that final episode where you just know your jaw is going to on the floor for the whole thing.

Lost Season 5 - The series that confuses 100% of its viewers is back and this time time travel is the dish of the day. Lost is one of those programmes that delights in creating 10 times as many questions than it does handing out answers, and has lost some viewers along the way because of that. The first two episodes of the new season were great but Jesus H Christ is it getting into some serious sci-fi territory now. Only one more season to go after this and we should at least get a few answers. I'm sure there will be a couple of hundred more questions that'll get left hanging though.
There were far too many things in these first two episodes to write a small paragraph on so I'll just leave it to you to mull it over until the next one. One thing remains constant though, DON'T TRUST BEN...

Batman: The Brave And The Bold Season 1 - I have to admit that when I saw the first episode of this new Batman series I could only think of the 60's series and how it was an even poorer interpretation of the Dark Knight. But then after watching another few eps I've now grown quite accustomed to it's child-like 'second rate hero of the week team-up' nature. This is a lighter hearted Batman who likes to be sarcastic, is ultra competitive with the likes of Green Arrow and co and has a far sight more patience than the pointy-eared one we know and love. But somehow it works and it's a totally watchable cartoon. It'll never reach the heights of Justice League Unlimited, the original Batman Animated Series or even The Batman but I'll be watching it however long it's on our screens.

Smallville Season 8 - Smallville has certainly had its highs and lows over the last few years but season 8 has been mostly enjoyable. The inclusion of DC characters such as Doomsday, the Legion and continuing addition of Green Arrow and co have made it worth the watch. Unfortunately they had to bring Lana back (with her new Chun-Li honed martial arts skills) and have temporarily pushed the Lois angle to one side but with the promise of a 9th season now on the cards the producers have another season to play those cards and bring Clark even closer to being the Man of Steel we're waiting for.

Knight Rider Season 1 - Oh how I love this series. the critics have been harsh and the reviews have been derogatory to say the least but they have one true fan sitting right here. I can't really fault this series in any serious way. It doesn't take itself too seriously, the characters are fun and endearing and the women are so hot I want to cry myself to sleep at night. Plus KITT will always be cool. The inclusion (albeit briefly) of Optimus Pri... sorry I mean KARR in the most recent episode this week was great and now that Doc Graiman, Carrie and Torres are out of the picture, in one way or another, the series will now re-boot into the old 80's format where a small group of people fight for truth, justice and the American way by themselves rather than being part of a corrupt government machine. I hope this gets a few more seasons under its belt before it gets killed off. I need my weekly fix of Deanna Russo and Smith Cho!!!!

Sanctuary Season 1 - Sanctuary has made the difficult transition from blue screen filmed, Internet based series to a full blown TV series and I think it's done pretty well. There have been a few hit and miss episodes when it first started but the mythos and storylines have been slowly growing and the characters are finally being fleshed out to make this series one of my essential weekly viewings. I can never get enough of Amanda Tapping as you know (I'm still watching 3 episodes a night of my SG-1 box set) and Emilie Ullerup (Ashley Magnus) is one of my top pinups of the year. Yes the women are a big reason why I love some of these programmes but this one would be pretty watchable without them too! Here's hoping it continues.

Star Wars: The Clone Wars Season 1 - OK, so everyone agrees that the movie didn't do that well and could have been a lot better than it was. But the series has actually been quite enjoyable and it grows the characters and the entire Star Wars Universe in such a watchable serial-like way that even my kids are happy to sit down each week and see what Anakin and Ahsoka are up to. Bringing in various Jedi's and background races each week has been a joy to watch and seeing as Lucas says this'll last for some time (who's gonna argue with him?) we should be watching this for some time.

The Unit: Season 4 - My all time favourite TV programme is well into its 4th season and is as watchable as it was from day one, if not more so. There's so much about the Unit I could talk about but I just can't give it the time it deserves on here. It's the one show that literally gets my heart going every episode and shocks when you least expect it to. Showing the lives of the Unit members is one thing (and a hell of a thing that is in itself) but the wives's stories are just as good and at the moment their equalling their husbands scenes for action and suspense. If you've never watched this, male or female, it's worth your time, trust me.


There's a lot more to go over but it'll have to be later... ;)

No comments: