THIS SITE

THIS SITE

Friday 9 January 2009

New Stargate DVD Movie On It's Way


Being the phenomenally huge fan of Stargate SG-1 that I am (I'm currently watching 3 episodes a night with the missus of my season 1-10 DVD box set X-mas present for instance) I was ecstatic to hear that yet another SG-1 straight to DVD movie will be on it's way very soon.

Stargate SG-1 co-creator Brad Wright confirmed to Gateworld recently that the next movie will focus on Jack O’Neill (Richard Dean Anderson). Anderson’s role in Stargate: Continuum amounted to a guest appearance, but will be much more substantial in the next film. “The next movie will be much more Jack-centric,” Wright said.

Unfortunately someone who will be missing from the next chapter of the franchise will be Vala Mal Doran (Claudia Black). Wright has previously told GateWorld that, due to a variety of circumstances including the availability of former cast members who have moved on to other work, it’s unlikely that future SG-1 movies will include the entire cast of the television series. While fans of those characters will certainly mourn their absence, it does offer the writers the ability to spend more time servicing whichever characters are included.

I actually met Claudia last year at the London film and Comic Con and asked her why I didn't see her name announced for the San Diego Comic Con Continuum talk that I'd be attending the week after. She told me that she hadn't been invited and didn't even know there was a talk... I found that a little odd to say the least as she mentioned at LFCC that Ben Browder was one of her closest friends and pretty much the entire cast was attending the SDCC talk including the elusive Richard Dean Anderson himself... hell even Beau Bridges was there!

She was also unaware that former Farscape cast members Gigi Edgely and David Franklin were signing at SDCC and she would have gone if she'd been invited. Did I smell a rat somewhere? Damn right! Either she was telling porky's or they'd left her out of it for some reason.

Aaaaaaanyway, we may lose Vala, but to get O'Neill back for some major screen time is definitely a bonus and anything that lets me see more of Amanda Tapping will never be a bad thing for me. I love that woman!

There's no current release date for the next SG-1 DVD and there's certainly no sign of a theatrical release anytime soon, regardless of how well the last two movies did but I'm looking forward to it nonetheless.

No comments: